It has been a while since I have done a gardening update so I though I would take a few pictures and talk a little bit about them. Our family has been super busy with travel, kids, work and the frequent birthday parties that happen […]
A few months back I wrote my first post after going back to work (A not so Brief Hiatus) about the gap in blogging while I went back to work. I didn’t blog for eight months last time which was almost the entire length of […]
A little bit ago I was laid off from the job I started last spring. It was very sudden and shocking to me but the job was not going that great and if I had not had the most dreadfully awful week I probably would not have been so upset initially but that is how it worked out. Now that I have had some time to think and have gained some perspective I am eternally grateful that I was laid off. I am now able to find a new (better) job without the pressure of of working at the same time and this is largely due to the support, advice and great financial advice I have received over the past 18 or so months from the personal finance community.
You see, if I had not found the Financial Freedom movement and Mr. Money Mustache and then taken a deep dive into the personal finance community two summers ago we would have handled my new found influx of cash much more differently. We would have found all sorts of things to spend our money on and I would be in much more of a panic about suddenly having a major source of income cut off two months before Christmas. But since I have been focusing on saving and we have been living more frugally I know for a fact that we will be ok for a few months even though we are still having to pay for day care during that time. Day care spots are difficult to come by and I need to be available for job interviews so we made the decision to continue to pay for care to keep our spot.
Since I was laid off we have cut back on our grocery spending, reduced our savings contribution, and cut way back on any sort of extra curricular spending. Christmas will be smaller this year, although not by much for the little kids since I bought most of their presents in August and September and we have put our travel plans on hold until I find another job but honestly I am eternally grateful that we did not rely on my income to make ends meet. I was putting a large percent of my income towards debt/savings and although it is really frustrating to not be able to put more in the bank I am so happy that we were smart about how we spent the money in the first place.
I have been taking my new found free-time to connect with friends, focus on my fitness, spend quality time with my family, and catching up on household projects. I have started swimming laps again and I absolutely love it! I have also applied for a few jobs with companies that seem like a good fit and I hope to start interviewing in the next couple of weeks. Now that the dust has settled and I have been inspired to write again I will be posting more on the blog and I am super excited about it! I hope you are working on reducing your expenses and building your emergency fund as well!
How would you handle an unexpected lay off?
About eight months ago I took a break from blogging. There were many reasons, the most pressing being a complete utter lack of time while trying to maintain balance with both Mr. Oscoey and I working full-time with small kids. To say it was difficult […]
I have been asked quite a bit lately where the name Oscoey came from. For some reason it always catches me by surprise and I have to wing a response that is short and somehow makes sense and doesn’t turn into an awkward conversation so […]
I want to thank Katie from Sled Dog Slow for nominating Oscoey for the Leibster Award! It was completely unexpected and the email was a wonderful surprise after a long week of craziness in our house. I have only been blogging for a few months so for somebody to recognize my little blog is amazing. I love reading other blogs and especially those that are about homesteading. We are just starting out with our little urban homestead and many of the articles at Sled Dog Slow have inspired me to do more. I especially love the honesty of Katie about the toughness of living out in Alaska and homesteading in general. Thank you once again!
What is the Liebster Award?
The Liebster Award started out as a way to recognize other bloggers in 2011. Liebster means beloved, dearest or sweetheart in German and the term is used in the award to show which blogs people are fond of. It is a great way for bloggers to connect, get to know one another and to highlight new or smaller blogs.
My Favorite Blog
My favorite blog has to be Old McDavis Farm. Nicole at Old McDavis Farm has a wealth of knowledge about urban homesteading in the Pacific Northwest and she has helped me tremendously with advice on raising chickens. Many people in our community turn to her with advice and she is always ready and willing to help. Nicole’s post about healing your chickens at home is especially informative and great for new chicken keepers. I also love her ability to write about her learning process and how she worked through the mistakes she made early on. Her article about moving her new chickens into a new coop was both entertaining and informative and I loved reading it! I will definitely be talking to Nicole before we buy our own chickens and most likely buying one of her hand made coops as well. She and her husband use reclaimed material to make the most amazing coops! You should definitely head on over to her blog and read all about them!
10 Random Facts About Me!
Hmm this is tricky.
- I have never traveled outside of the continental United States and Canada.
- When I was little I had Anoles as pets.
- I hate peas but I eat them almost every day because they are my kids’ favorite vegetable.
- My husband and I met in Kindergarten.
- I am a third generation dachshund owner.
- I love Forget-Me-Nots even though they are weeds.
- I am ok with spiders as long as they don’t touch me.
- I was a huge American Girl Doll fan when I was growing up.
- I love playing legos with my kids.
- I have always wanted to plant a Giant Sequoia tree in my yard but have never had enough space.
My Liebster Nominations
- Old McDavis Farm
- 15 Acre Homestead
- WholeHearted Homestead
- Coffee, Grace and Tomato Paste
- Just Keep Momming
What to Do if Nominated for the Liebster Award
If you have been nominated for The Liebster Award AND YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT, write a blog post about the Liebster award in which you should do the follow:
- Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog. Try to include a little promotion for the person who nominated you. They will thank you for it and those who you nominate will also help you out as well.
- Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”. (Note that the best way to do this is to save the image to your own computer and then upload it to your blog post.) At the bottom of this post I’ve included a whole lot of images you can use for your 2017 Liebster Award.
- For the 2017 Liebster Award I will be shaking things up! Write a 150-300 word post about your favourite blog that is not your own. Explain why you like the blog, provide links.
- Provide 10 random facts about yourself. (This year I’m making this optional. If you wish to engage with your readers it’s a great idea to include random facts about you.)
- Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 200 followers. (Note that you can always ask the blog owner this since not all blogs display a widget that lets the readers know this information!)
- Answer all 11 questions asked and ask 11 questions that you would like those bloggers to answer.
- List these rules in your post (You can copy and paste from here or simply link by to this post.) Once you have written and published it, you then have to:
- Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post or mine if you don’t have all the information so that they can learn about it (they might not have ever heard of it! Post a comment in the comments below so I can view your post and check out your blog. I personally visit each and every one. I visited a few hundred last year!!
What is your favorite flower?
I don’t really have a favorite flower. They are all so beautiful. I guess my favorite flower is whatever is currently in bloom.
Who is your real life hero?
Probably my grandma. She has always been a leader by example in helping those in need.
When is the best time of day?
This one is tricky because it never happens any more. My favorite time of day is when I get up before the kids and sit quietly in the living room enjoying a cup of coffee while I collect my thoughts for the day.
Where is your happy place?
I love being outside working in the garden.
Why did you choose your blog name?
Long ago when we had two dachshunds named Oscar and Zoey I decided that when I finally got around to writing my own blog I would combine their names into Oscoey. Oscar is no longer with us but I still love the name so I used it.
Which is better: Climbing in bed after a long day, or waking up after sleeping in?
Climbing in bed after a long day!
How do you prefer your eggs for breakfast? (Over easy, scrambled, etc.)
Over easy for sure! Runny eggs are my favorite!
What is the best movie you’ve ever seen in theaters?
Hmm. We never go to movie theaters any more and it has been so long that I can’t remember which ones I actually saw in the theater.
What is your favorite smell?
I love the smell of the woods near my grandparents house after the rain.
Can you sleep with the light on or does it need to be completely dark?
Are you a dog person or a cat person?
Dog person for sure!
My 11 Questions:
- If you drink coffee how do you like it?
- Would you rather be able to fly or breathe underwater?
- What is your favorite fruit?
- What is your ideal cheap vacation?
- What is your favorite grocery store?
- Would you rather have a flower garden or a vegetable garden?
- What do you do first when you wake up in the morning?
- How many pairs of shoes do you own?
- What is your favorite way to cool off in the summer?
- Are you into camping or glamping?
- What is a favorite childhood memory?
Thanks once again to Sled Dog Slow for the nomination! It came completely out of the blue and is greatly appreciated! Keep blogging everyone!